Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quick Update

Greetings fellow Network of Love Lovers!

Yesterday, I fasted in an attempt to connect with Muslim friends near and the Muslim community at large. I admit, I cheated a little bit. I was out to dinner and started eating a little before the sun truly set. I'll be honest, it was not easy to go without water throughout the day. And without having a pretty heart breakfast right before the sun rose, I think a day of fasting would have been incredibly difficult to me. I have a new found respect for the commitment of devout Muslims to the faith they live and show the world. Wow.

There is something to be said about the calming and peaceful affects that stem from fasting. Towards the end of my fast yesterday, I felt like I was less busy plotting the future of paper writing, social endeavors, eating, exercising or otherwise. I was still thinking of all these things in a sense, but in another sense, I was more focused with what was right in front of me; the always changing concept of what the NOW is. As I focus more on the present of the presence of practicing fully living in the present moment, I realize the greater gift life has to offer us. Love is something in our minds, is something nestled deeply in our heart and soul, but ultimately something we are called to live freely, outwardly in the present moment. By fasting, in some small way, I was able to muse on some of the truths we try to constantly find in this life.

peace and with love,

your friend bob.

No comments: