Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ramadan Request to my Friends

Greetings fellow Network of Love Lovers!

It's a spectacularly sunny Thursday here on the northeast side of Chicago. If I peak through my window to the world outside, I'm "blinded by the light," if you will. El sol!

My last few posts have sort of called for a greater respect for Islam and an understanding of the Peace that many of the world's religions collectively seek. On Monday, I wrote that I plan to partake in one day of fasting during this month of Ramadan to, as a Christian, show my respect for and friendship with my Muslim sisters and brothers. It's a very small way to do this, but it is a way I, as an individual, can somehow connect with a group at large. I encourage anyone who would also like to fast to join me this coming Tuesday, September 23. It will require abstaining from food and drink of any sort from approximately sun up until sun down. My friend Khady said, if she gets up early enough, she will eat a meal before sunrise and drink water so she has some energy to carry through the day until the sun goes down. If you have the ambition to wake up before the sun rises, then it may be a good idea to eat and drink.

If you do plan to fast along with me on Tuesday September 23, please let me know and I will share with Khady a list of the non-Muslims who are sharing in the fast to show support and love for all practicing Muslims. Feel free to send me an e-mail confirming that you plan to fast. If you are Christian or Jewish, you might want to use it as a day to connect with your own idea of God. If you are not a religious person, you might want to use the day as a day to simply connect with people around the world you might not often get an opportunity to share in fellowship or friendship. No matter where you stand, you can stand for Peace. Consider the fast a day to pray for Peace and an end to some of the turmoil that wades on our world community.

Here is a short story from an Anonymous author taken from a book called The Sower's Seeds, a collection of 100 inspiring stories. It opens our eyes to the notion that some people see things differently than us. However, different doesn't mean wrong. Rather, witnessing something different can actually be a moment of discovery for us.

If you asked someone "What's half of eight?" and received the answer "Zero," your first reaction would be, "That's nonsense." But stop a moment! Think of the numeral 8. The figure is composed of two small 0's – zeros – one piled on top of another.
Take it further: If a line were drawn down the middle of 8, you would have two 3's standing face-to-face. From that perspective, half of 8 would be 3!

I pray that today we may all experience a moment where half of 8 is 3.

Let me know whether or not you would like to participate in the fast on Tuesday September 23. Thank you much!

peace and with love,

your friend bob.

No comments: